THE KEEPS & THE ENGLISH PUB
Continued from Previous Page
SHOULDER OF MUTTONGreen End Road, Green End, Kempston, Bedfordshire
The pub first licensed in 1836 was also known as the Leg of Mutton. In 1876 the licensee was recorded as Amos Keep, part of the East Midlands Keeps. See also The Bell Public House above. During this period the premises were mortgaged to William George Carter Mitchell in 1875. It changed hands many times, but in 1992 when it closed it was tied to the Suffolk brewers Greene King, who took over the Biggleswade brewers Wells & Winch in 1961. Due to its decline in trade the pub closed, and was converted into a private residence.
In 1927 the premises were valued under the Rating Valuation Act 1925, and the report stated: “… accommodation comprised a tap room, cellar, lounge and front room downstairs, with three bedrooms above; outside were two earth closets and a barn with a loft over. Weekly trade was good at three barrels and five dozen bottles of beer.” See also Amos Keep at The Bell Kempston, and William Keep at The Chequers Newport Pagnell, above.
The pub was originally called the King & Queen, before being renamed the Swan or White Swan in the 1690s. It closed during the First World War, and now is an antiques shop, together with other businesses operated from the premises. The 1901 Sussex Census shows the Licensed Victualler to be 54 year old widow Martha Keep, who was born in Wheathole Green, Hampshire. She appears again in the 1905 Post Office Directory. The building is a Grade II listed building. It is stuccoed with heavy bracketed cornice to corrugated cement-sheet covered nipped roof, 2 storeys; irregular fenestration of 4 windows on both floors, all glazing bar sashes. Entrance to right of centre, moulded surround to recessed porch and panelled door. Wide entrance arch at extreme left with flat arch, leading to rear of the building.
39 Thoroughfare, Halesworth, Suffolk
The building was built during the 16th century. There is documentary evidence from 1590 that records the premises as "Ye Lyone Inne". Prior to being named the White Lion, the pub was called The Boar. An archaeological excavations outside the pub in 1991 discovered part of a causeway--probably dating from the late Saxon period.
The pub was tied to the Geldeston Brewery, Norfolk. The 1869 Post Office Directory listed Robert Keep, and he appears again in the 1874 directory. In the 1874 White's Directory, Samuel Kent is listed as the Victualler.
The building is Grade II listed. It is a two storey, part timber framed and plastered. It has been re-roofed with plain tiles in part. The remainder of the building is red brick and machine pantiles. One 3-light casement and door, left, and two casements, right. In the interior it has Oak beamed and joisted ceilings.